The foreign exchange market known as forex or FX is the largest and most liquid market in the world. It attracts more and more traders with different approaches. Some prefer to stay with the currencies they know. Others like to experiment with new currencies and different timeframes. And this is okay because no two persons are the same and it is not possible that the same method will work for all.
There are, however, some techniques more popular than others. Forex also bears its limitations. It can be traded 5 days a week at certain hours. This means you cannot open new positions at the weekends. Moreover, there are overnight fees if you do not close the transaction before market closing.
Today, I will present three methods of trading in the foreign exchange market. Let’s see if you are familiar with them.
The most popular paths to trade forex at Olymp Trade
Below, you will find short descriptions of three of the most popular ways of forex trading. What makes them special is their universality and simplicity. They are day trading, position trading and scalping.
The main premise is that all the trades are opened and closed within the same day. The market is open at certain hours and day trading requires that you stick to these hours and end each transaction before the closing of the market. What it further means is that you are looking for short trends and open positions of rather a short duration. It may be several minutes or hours, depending on the market analysis and the time left to the market closing.
Day trading allows you to avoid overnight fees. You will be able to open from 10 to 100 positions a day, depending on your skills, risk management and the situation in the market.
Positive and negative sides
With every method come benefits and drawbacks. The good side of day trading is that you will have the results of your trading within several hours. You will not be charged with the overnight fees. And you can count on various trading opportunities throughout the day.
The disadvantages are rather low returns. Spectacular moves do not happen often in such a short time as one day. The height of the gains will mostly depend on the amount being invested and the multiplier you use. Furthermore, you have to take a relatively high risk of short-term transactions into an account.
How to trade
Technical analysis is the most popular base for day trading. You should focus on identifying the trend with all kinds of moving averages. Following economic news is of less importance here because the effect of the news is normally reflected on higher timeframes.
Position trading is rather for more patient traders that are ready to wait a longer time for the results. They focus on the bigger picture and not on small price movements. The trading positions are being held for a long time.
Benefits and drawbacks
Traders take advantage of market movements on a larger scale. A problem they may face is when to close the position. Day traders know they have to end transactions before the market closes. Here, there is no such limitation and it is a more individual decision. It might be helpful to consider what outcome you want to get. Set stop loss and take profit to help you manage your positions.
How to trade
In opposition to day trading, the impact economic news has on the market is very important in this approach. Position traders look at the bigger picture and so they have to have an understanding of what might happen in the future. They use fundamental and technical analysis and they search for candles patterns that will help them to predict future price changes.
The third method called scalping is for active traders who enjoy the trading operation in itself. It requires opening very short-lasting transactions. They should be no longer than a minute. This means you will have plenty of opportunities to enter the trades although you cannot count on spectacular outcomes.
Positive and negative sides
Maybe the returns are not high, but the investment amount can be very small as well. So with even small investment scalpers can slowly work out their profits.
Opening such short transactions is still risky. It is a challenge not to catch false signals on such short timeframes. When you experience multiple losses you may wipe the account out trying to recover.
How to trade
Technical analysis will be the most useful here. The former performance of the instrument does not indicate what will happen in the future. Nevertheless, there are many indicators that work well on short timeframes and will help you to find entry points for your transactions.
Pros and Cons 📊
- Forex trading offers a wide range of trading opportunities due to its high liquidity and global nature.
- Traders can choose from various trading methods, such as day trading, position trading, and scalping, based on their preferences and trading style.
- The forex market operates 5 days a week, providing ample time for trading activities.
- By practicing on a demo account and implementing effective risk management, traders can develop their skills and improve their chances of success.
- Forex trading requires continuous market monitoring and analysis, which can be time-consuming.
- The forex market operates within specific trading hours, and positions cannot be opened on weekends.
- Certain trading strategies, such as scalping, may involve high-frequency trading and can be more susceptible to market noise and false signals.
- Risk management is crucial in forex trading, as it involves potential losses and volatility.
|Day Trading||All trades are opened and closed within the same day, focusing on short-term trends and avoiding overnight fees.|
|Position Trading||Trades are held for a longer time, focusing on the bigger picture and taking advantage of market movements on a larger scale.|
|Scalping||Involves opening very short-lasting transactions, typically no longer than a minute, with the aim of making small profits.|
Which method you choose depends on individual preferences. You must get to know yourself, your strong and weak sides and decide which approach is more attractive to you.
Either way, you must be well prepared before starting the trading session. You should learn about the market, about different strategies, you should develop the trading plan you will follow and think carefully about money and risk management.
Make use of a free demo account Olymp Trade has in its offer. This is a wonderful feature that allows you to practice without the risk of losing your own money. The demo account is supplied with virtual cash and can be recharged at any time. Try different paths to trade forex in the demo account first and move to the live one when you decide what suits you best.
You can share your experience in forex with others in the comments section down below the site.
Wish you only good decisions!
- Q: Can I trade forex on weekends?
- A: No, the forex market operates on weekdays and is closed on weekends.
- Q: How can I choose the right forex trading method for me?
- A: Consider your trading preferences, time availability, risk tolerance, and the type of analysis (technical or fundamental) you are comfortable with. Demo trading can help you test different methods and find the one that suits you best.
- Q: Are there any risks involved in forex trading?
- A: Yes, forex trading carries risks, including potential financial losses due to market volatility and incorrect trading decisions. It is important to practice proper risk management and never invest more than you can afford to lose.
- Q: How can I improve my chances of success in forex trading?
- A: Continuous learning, developing a solid trading plan, practicing on a demo account, and implementing effective risk management techniques can improve your chances of success in forex trading.
- Q: Is forex trading suitable for beginners?
- A: Forex trading can be challenging for beginners due to its complexity and risks involved. However, with proper education, practice, and a disciplined approach, beginners can gradually build their skills and experience in the forex market.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?